Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Work Ethic and good Manners... where are they ?

When I was a kid, a long time ago, we were taught to call adults mam or sir. For a child to be disrespectful to a grown up meant a trip to the wood shed. Grown ups were respectful to each other too. People were nicer to each other that they are today.

Store clerks were pleasant too. Back then a customer in a store received good service and a thank you for shopping there. But that's all gone with the wind. It's a cold hard nosed world out there today.

I think a lot of attention to the customer left with the demise of the family owned , or, mom and pop stores. Success to them meant keeping the customer happy but with the chain stores, there is no closeness between customers and store owners.

The work ethic of the past is just that, a thing of the past. It seems like the clerk, or the technican or whoever the person is who is supposed to be offering service just doesn't care about the job .

Here is an example. I am severly hearing impaired and to use the telephone, I rely on the TTY, relay system. The relay system is for hard of hearing or deaf persons. It would seem to follow that an operator who works for the TTY company would understand that it is for people who have severe hearing prblems. That seems clear to me. But, recently when my daughter called me on the TTY system she asked the operator to speak slowly to me when I answered the phone. The operator asked, " Why, is she hard of hearing, or something ?". Unbelieable!

Till next time.
Marion Springer

3 comments:

gwen hastings said...

Dearest Marion,
those ethics have been gone many years. Damn I am so happy, I went looking for you on the web and expected to find an obit and here you are still alive. :)

kelly of the 532 air command

Marion Springer said...

Hey Kelly, It was good to hear from you. I hope all is well in your world.
Where are you and what are you doing ?
Marion

gwen hastings said...

Hi Marion,
I am married and live in between oakland and monterey(commute every week). I am doing the IT operations for a medical records operation.


kelly
ps dont fly much anymore. I was flying paragliders.. but its beenmore and more infrequently as I age. (aches and pains)